1.Why was the UAE Space Agency established and what are its objectives?
- The UAE Space Agency was formally established by the UAE government through Federal Decree
- The mains aims of the UAE Space Agency are:
- To organise, regulate and support the space sector in the country and to enhance its position in this area.
- Encourage the development and use of space science and technology in the country and advance within the industry.
- The establishment of international partnerships in the space sector and to enhance the role of the state and its position in the space sector.
- Contribute to the diversification of the national economy through the space sector
- Raise awareness of the importance of the space technologies, enhance national capabilities and encourage peaceful application of space research.
2.How will this strategy assist the UAE further its space exploration goals?
- Our strategy is focused on coordinating the UAE’s growing space technology sector and on supervising space missions.
- Our strategy is based on developing the UAE’s potential to become a regional hub for space science and industry. Our country has the financial resources, the technical know-how, and the national will necessary to launch an ambitious space program. The UAE Government sees a national space program as a key component in diversifying the UAE economy, creating highly skilled and technology jobs, and a highly skilled, 21st century workforce.
3.How will the UAE use its space programme to serve humanity?
- The space sector will help to grow our knowledge-based economy and will facilitate the development of technology in this sector
- The technology will lead to benefits within a range of areas including:
- Global communication
- Natural resource management including monitoring the rate of global deforestation, changes in climate and variations in sea levels
- Water resource management
- Electrical power management
- Alternative energy management including solar, geothermal and other energy sources
4.How does the general public benefit from space technology?
- Many of technologies that are now part of everyday life were originally developed for space programs. Modern bio-medical techniques, imaging technology, digital systems, robotics, information and communication technology, applications in meteorology, environmental monitoring, remote sensing imagery, surveillance, and more, all have space research to thank.
- The space sector is integral to many aspects of life, from telecommunications and navigation, to broadcasting and monitoring of weather and natural disasters. The activities and initiatives of the UAE Space Agency will allow us to contribute to developing new technology for a range of industries and applications.
5.What is the size of UAE’s investment in projects related to space technology industries?
- The UAE is considered to be a hub in space and aerospace, the largest in the region, with three major space players including Yahsat, which provides government, military, civil and commercial secure services.
- The UAE’s investments in space technologies exceeded AED 20 billion, (USD 5 billion) including satellite data and TV broadcast company Al Yah Satellite Communications, mobile satellite communication company Thuraya Satellite Telecommunications, and Earth mapping and observation system Dubai Sat.
6.How will investing in space help to solve issues here on the ground?
- The UAE has been and will always be committed to solving global issues. The space industry has much to contribute in assisting other countries in humanitarian assistance and disaster management.
- A vibrant space sector is a key part in creating a sustainable diversified economy and providing citizens with essential space-based services e.g. satellite communications.
- Ideas and designs used in space exploration has prompted another technology revolution; inventions such as the global positioning system (GPS), the cell phone, and medical devices all utilize satellites to function. These and many other essential items would be almost unthinkable today without research provided by satellite technology.
7.What is the local expertise available for the space agency to launch its programme?
- The UAE Space Agency is working closely with the Ministry of Education, schools and universities to help nurture talent and raise awareness of the opportunities within the industry.
- One of the key objectives of our Agency is to build the human capital of our industry. Emiratis are already playing a leading role in the UAE’s space sector, across a range of disciplines including R&D and engineering.
- We are confident in our local capabilities and development of younger generations who will become pioneers of the space industry in the Middle East and internationally.
8.Will the Agency be regulating the space industry?
- Yes, the UAE Space Agency will be responsible for coordinating and regulating the UAE space sector
9.Will regulation include telecommunications satellites?
- The UAE Space Agency will ensure that all satellites are operating in accordance with UAE regulation and industry best practice.
- The Agency will be responsible for registering satellites and guaranteeing orbital slots.
- The Agency will be working closely with the Telecommunications Regulation Authority (TRA).
- Frequency allocation is TRA’s responsibility.
10.What is the advice of the UAE Space Agency for UAE students who aspire to join space science or become an astronaut?
- We advise youth who are interested in space to study science, maths, engineering and technology subjects and to get involved at an early age in the opportunities provided at school and college.
- Emirati students have opportunities to study astronomical science in the USA, Europe, South Korea and Japan through educational institutions and other regional agencies. One example is a program organized by the Arab Youth Venture Foundation. The first all-female group of interns trained in California, in Silicon Valley, at NASA’s Lunar Science Institute, the agency responsible for the software design, sensor integration and wind tunnel testing used to build the Mars Rover Curiosity. These students worked on spacesuit design and rover technology.
11.Does the UAE Space Agency also offer leading positions to women and non-Emiratis?
- We will nurture and support the best and brightest talent, regardless of gender.
- The UAE Government is keen to develop a ‘critical mass’ of Emirati know-how in the area of space science and technology to enable the country to realize its objectives, of achieving technological, industrial, commercial, and economic self-reliance. The UAE’s space program will utilize local resources and will empower UAE scientists and engineers to focus on knowledge transfer, and to establish local space infrastructure including labs, facilities, and education centres.
12.How will the Mars project help build a national research base, and help with the development of national cadres that are specialised in the field of space in the coming years?
- The missions will boost the nation’s human capital through knowledge transfer from our international partners, as well as increase our collective knowledge about space exploration and distant planets.
- We want to nurture local talent and create globally competitive Emiratis in the space and technology sectors.
13.How will the UAE Space Agency contribute to the UAE National innovation strategy?
- The space sector is a key part of the National Innovation Strategy.
- Opportunities for commercializing space research and products can stimulate companies to enter the marketplace with new products and services, such as special batteries, lightweight solar panels, etc.
- Countries with strong national space programs can increase the standard of living of its residents and assist the UAE’s regional and international cooperation efforts with other countries.
- The space sector in UAE forms an integral part of telecommunications, navigation, broadcasting and climatology. UAE Space programs will lead to the development of an industrial base that will increase research and development (R&D) within partnering companies, to the creation of new jobs, with trainings and improvements in the technical competencies of the workforce.
14.How will the space industry contribute to the UAE economy?
- The industry will help to increase national GDP.
- It will be a catalyst for the government’s plans for diversification and sustainability.
- We will be creating the right environment for competition and development of our workforce.